Kerala on its way to become a solar state

In Kerala, the Kozhikode District Panchayat is going to gear up for a 10 MW solar power plant which has the cost of 6.64 crore. This step is supposed to inspire many other institutions in the state to tap the solar energy to meet its electricity requirements.

The project, to be implemented in collaboration with the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB) and is expected to meet the power demand of all the institutions under the civic body, especially schools.

The plant will be installed at the District Panchayat office, Vadakara Government District hospital and Government Ayurveda hospital. The state planning board has already given its approval for the project.

46 government and aided schools across the district are expected to get benefitted from the project. M Salim, the District Panchayat president, said, “In the preliminary phase, four high secondary schools under the local body have been selected to implement the project and the roof-top solar power plant has already been set in place. By next month, the project will be fully functional in these schools.”

“During the day time, electricity generated from the solar plant will be utilized in our institutions. The excess energy will be given to KSEB. During night, KSEB will provide power to our institutions to meet their power needs,” he added.

“The District Panchayat will spend 30 per cent of the total project cost. The remaining 70 per cent will be given by the state government and the project would be fully functional within six months,” said Salim.

urvashi khatri

urvashi khatri

Urvashi works as Sr. analyst (solar) in Sunrator technologies.